Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Chores


Some chores are more satisfying than others. Don’t know why that should be but it is.

I burned a personal day today. Cleaned the stove, took care of some business with the county, had a meeting with the owner of the house next door about a problem renter (whose dog has attacked three other pets, killing one, and with an elementary school bus stop within fifty yards), did some dishes, put together the stuff I need for my online course that starts next Monday, had a doctor’s appointment and took advantage of the gorgeous weather to put a third coat of paint on the porch railing out front.

Guess which one made me feel I got something done?

I’ve tried to figure out why in thinking back on my day, the painting job is the one thing that feels like an accomplishment. It’s not like the other items on the list weren’t important.

I guess it has something to do with the fact that most of these things don’t feel like moving forward. Putting in the paperwork that might end in a dog – even a vicious pit bull – being put down somehow doesn’t feel much like an accomplishment. Cleaning the kitchen – bah!  And as pleasant as it always is to chat with Dr. Anne, I’ve never been a fan of poke and prod sessions.

The railing, on the other hand, has over the course the last week been transformed from a peeling, nasty relic with moss growing around the bottoms of the posts and along the bottom rail, to being a gleaming white, substantial-looking architectural element. One no longer has to look twice before putting one’s hand down on the top rail and the whole thing looks as solid as it is.

It looks done, just as a finished chore should.

So, what did I do with my day off?

Painted the porch rail, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.