Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Solitude while not alone


In the course of using my portable music device as a defensive weapon whilst riding the bus next to an insistently talkative transit denizen recently, I got to thinking. Not that there was much else to occupy me, owing in part to the fact that we were at that moment passing through a very long tunnel with no particularly interesting features, and in part to the fact that the battery of my player was not just merely dead, but really, most sincerely dead. So as I said, I got to pondering and the subject of mine pondering resulted in (yes, I know you guessed it but sheesh, just let me have my moment of faux suspense) a list, the subject being:

The following may provide solitude while not actually, you know, being alone

Earphones – As explained above, even if no music is issuing therefrom

Looking out the window of the bus, plane, car – Also as explained above

A function you got roped into attending while conversation goes on around you – Make sure to keep an insipid smile plastered to your face and nod slightly every now and then

Watching television in the same room but not together

When there’s something awkward remaining unsaid but the two or more people within earshot are each determined not to be the one to break the silence

In bed, staring at the ceiling while your love sleeps but you have the thinkies and an hour has gone by…and now another…and now only thirteen minutes…

On airplanes, most flights (thankfully)

In the company meeting room, during most meetings

In a crowded mall, while all the zillions of people walk past in sublime ignorance of your august presence

Almost anywhere, when a really killer idea comes to you, no matter how inopportune the timing

And just for the record, I rather enjoy solitude in most of its forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.