Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Back to basics

Not much more than a year from now, we (and by ‘we’ I mean those of us with, you know, brains and souls) will vote in what could be the most important election of our lifetimes. We need to be ready.

I know it’s common for some folks to skip the off years but I hope we don’t. Not this time. The entire House of Representatives and a third of the Senate stand for election every two years and this time, we really need to make some course corrections.

We really, really need to make some course corrections.

Because, face it – last time around we all failed, one way or another. There were qualified candidates on both sides and we allowed the noisiest to make it to the finals. And we got what we deserved.

I’m tired of Trump jokes, if only because they’re just too easy. And I’m tired of angry rants because I’m tired of being angry.

The only useful thing I can do is prepare to do a better job this next time. I bear the responsibility to be well informed. To think deeply, seriously. And to support only those candidates that I feel are likely to help us heal as a nation.

It is unlikely I’ll be voting for any Republicans; they have long since become too dangerous. But that does not mean the Demos get a free pass. I will vote for individuals in each and every case, dog catcher to grand poobah.

Here’s what I’m looking for:
·        Honesty
·        Straight talk
·        Understanding of and dedication to the Constitution, particularly the Bill of Rights
·        Ability to work across party lines
·        Dignity – and my standards will be high: Michelle Obama, Betty Ford, Colin Powell
·        Clearly, genuinely likes people    

In the interest of breaking up the Old Boys Club, extra credit will be given entirely at my discretion for:
·        Non-attorneys
·        No allegiance to the NRA or Wall Street
·        Not being male
·        First generation American
·        LGBT
·        Classroom teachers
·        Vets

Points will be deducted for the following:
·        Too much emphasis on  religion, including ‘prayer breakfasts’ and such
·        Overt uber-patriotism that doesn’t ring true
·        Inherited wealth
·        Political family
·        Inability (or refusal) to give straight, coherent answers


I’m going back to First Principles. And I hope you will, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.