Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

A Matter of Perseverance

It’s not so much a staring contest as an attention contest.  A pure battle of wills in which only one side can win.  Either I give in and go get Zoey a doggie biscuit, or I don’t and she continues boring holes in the side of my head until I do give in. If I look, I’m lost.
                She does have several advantages. She knows that if I so much as wink in her direction, she will do her prancing, spinning Cute Dog Dance, which I’ve never been able to resist. Another advantage for team Zoey is that she is single minded. She knows nothing at the moment other than her desire for a treat. There are  no distractions on her horizon. She doesn’t wonder when the women will be home, she doesn’t want to know how the book I’m reading will turn out. She surely doesn’t care if the heating system filters need changing.
                Zoey has a brain the size of a walnut but that entire walnut is focused on one thing and one thing only. I, on the other hand, have to move at some point and any slight twitch on my part will be seen by her as submission to her will. Which means, of course, I will then have to submit sooner or later when she goes into that stupid dance.
                I can channel check the TV but on Friday night, the pickings are slim indeed. I could feign sleep but that always results in actual sleep and I do not want my daughter to come home and find me snoring with the matter of cupcake retribution yet unresolved.
                Maybe I’ll just…DANG! I looked!
                See ya. (By the way, this is Sindy’s fault. Don’t ask why.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.