Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2011

Nouveau bus riders

There’s a lot of road construction going on in Seattle just now, including the demolition of the Alaskan Way Viaduct section of Hwy 99, one of the two major North-South highways through the city. It’s settling badly and located on land fill just behind a crumbling seawall. Can you say, “liquefaction zone?”

So, during the nine days that the jackhammers will be pounding away, about a quarter of the people who work downtown have to find an alternate route. And since we have a great bus system, guess where a lot of them are ending up?
Everyone should ride transit. It’s cheaper than operating a car and you can read or look at the sights the whole way home. But it’s not for everyone. Some folks are uncomfortable with giving up their rolling privacy palaces. I understand that.
What I don’t understand is why some of them look sideways at me and the other denizens of the coach. Anyone who doesn’t have to feed coins or bills is identified as one of the poor souls who actually ride the bus even when there are other choices.  The pass hanging from a lanyard around my neck is somehow a mark of shame.
They don’t want to sit too close. Okay by me, more room for my ample caboose. But I have to wonder what sort of ooze they think will rub off on them. It’s not like I didn’t shower this week. Wadda they think I do on Saturday nights?
You know, this might be an opportunity for some fun. After all, I am on my sixth whoopee cushion since I got married. I wonder how the temporary riders will react to a little concert.  Or I may feel a sudden need to talk to myself. Or perhaps rock out to my earphones that are connected to nothing!
I’ll definitely wear one of my special hats. Oh, yeah!
This will be a good week!

1 comment:

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.