Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dogs

Today was a dog day. First thing this morning, the canines who allow us to share their house were upstairs urging us to come down stairs and feed them. Of course Odin The Horse paused at the door to Daughter Two’s bedroom, staring at her bed in the false hope that she would be where she belonged  at last. Failing to find her there, he came into our room looking for his morning pat on the head.
Mary and I really enjoy when Odin comes to my side of the bed because once I’ve scratched his ears, he has to back out, being too long to make a U turn between the bed and the set of shelves. This morning, he was further confused when I made those boop-boop sounds that trucks make when backing up.  
Of course, Zooey The Small And Annoying had already interrupted Mary’s sleep earlier to demand a trip to the backyard for her morning peering session. She goes out on the back stoop and peers at the backyard, as though she’s legitimately on watch for prowlers and such. Of course, she’s a major wuss, so the peering impresses no one. Not even the rabbits and squirrels.
Both the dogs eventually ended up outside at the same time. They wore themselves out with playing hard in the frost-cold yard most of the day so that now, they’re both zonked on their dog beds, where they will remain more or less inert until we go to bed, signaling time for them to need our attention once again.
We had dinner at the neighbors’ and their dog Ynez needed her share of loving. She is a Golden Retriever and had just been shampooed, so her coat was absolutely silky. It was great.
I went to the store for milk this evening. This woman with a service dog just barely missed the bus so I drove them home. The dog rested its head on my knee while I drove. It was a sweetheart and I’d like to think it was thankful to me for not making it and the woman wait in the cold for the next bus.
Lots of my good days involve dogs.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of my good days involve dogs too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.