Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 8, 2011

A totally unbiased theatrical review

Mary and I went to Daughter One’s last Red Curtain Revue at college last night and I saw a completely new person in many ways.  She was a dancing, singing, emoting entertainment machine and I loved watching her. But I always love watching her. She’s my kid and she’s very talented.
But aside from her on-stage performance, there was this new persona, something I’d suspected was there but hadn’t actually seen: Daughter One as director. She staged several of the numbers and they were the numbers that showed the most inventiveness in the show. She chose the right people and played to their strengths, providing the sold out audience with truly a peak experience.
The Whipped Into Shape number was just something to behold and when she had the whole cast to work with, her production number of Freak Flag was tour-ready.  I didn’t know Be My Friend from “Edges” before last night and Daughter One’s rendition has made it a new favorite number.
Perhaps you’ll see my daughter perform some day. If you’d seen her work product last night, you’d hope for that day to come soon.  When she says “Let me entertain you,” she delivers on that promise.  
I know, proud Dad crowing about his daughter. And you’ve no reason not to suspect that I’m being a bit more hyperbolic than the performance deserved. And you’d be wrong.
I’ve always been honest with my daughter about her performing because it’s a tough road she’s chosen, not one that you want your beloved daughter to walk down unprepared for reality. I’ve told her when I was less than blown away, when she needed to tweak this or that or choose a better number. She’s come to expect honesty from me and my reviews have not always been easy to provide or to receive. So she knows that when I say the following, I mean it:
Angela, you’re so ready. So, go give the world what you have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.