Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Green Grow the Lilacs

Yesterday, I was reading the lyric to Green Grow the Lilacs, which was the first song I ever learned simply because I liked singing it. I may have been all of five. It’s a standard story of jilted love, and sounds more like a cowboy song than the Irish ballad of its origins.
This is a song that’s claimed by a number of cultures and nationalities as being authentically their own and for a very good reason. It’s universal and timeless. There are a number of versions, but the melody is beautiful and simple and pure.
Folk singing comes and goes in popularity. I vote it’s time for a “come” cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.