Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Road trip

Mary has her last final tomorrow, and then it’s off on our road trip to California. My friends and family - Marilyn and Pat and Toni and Anne and Patty and Gary and Naomi and Sherree  and Barry and Two and Jennifer and Sean and others - think we’re coming for Anne’s retirement and Naomi’s graduation. Don’t tell them the following:

It’s actually all about Duck Butts! Yes, you did hear me correctly, we’re talking mallard posteriors here.
You see, there’s an eatery in Klamath, CA named the Forest Café that has paddler bottoms glued to the blue-painted ceiling to convey the impression of taking one’s repast at the bottom of the pond. And we’re gonna eat there, in spite of the multiple negative reviews I’ve seen concerning minor issues such as food quality and service. As I pointed out in an earlier missive, it’s ALL about context and in restaurants, that means atmosphere.

It is entirely possible that overhead swimmers are not the sole roadside attraction to which I intend to expose mine frau during our coastal sojourn. I predict quite a number of topnotch sites will greet us in our slide south down the coast. Yes, we’ll drive through the huge tree trunk and we’ll look at our share of seashore. But we won’t stop at such pedestrian pursuits, not us!
I can’t wait to take a picture of the love of my life at the Tribute to Prostitutes plaque in Ukiah or the tower of bicycles in Santa Rosa. We’ll check out both the World’s Largest Sea Lion Caves near Florence, OR and the World’s Shortest River (the D River in Lincoln City, OR) and plenty of other oddities de nature.

And the noticing! Imagine the noticing one can accomplish on a trip such as this! The mind is officially boggled!
It’s going to be a heck of a drive. I just hope me beloved can fully appreciate the lengths to which I’ve gone in planning this wonderful, fantastic, once in a lifetime  automotive soiree.

Oh, did I mention the World’s Largest Wooden Hangar?
I can’t wait!

(Sherree, you might want to have a glass of wine ready for Mary. And perhaps a bag of frozen peas for moi...)

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Bouts de Canard...does it get any better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been practicing moos and baas and whinnies for a week now, yoost in case we pass any livestock. Oh, yeah!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.