Total Pageviews

Friday, September 6, 2013

Spending the future that remains

“Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” Barack Obama

No, this is not going to be a tribute to the current President. I don’t know or care if he wrote this himself or if it came from an off-camera speech writer. Doesn’t matter. It speaks to me.
I’m sixty years old and (one hopes) currently working at what will be the last job of my career. My children are pretty well launched and have proven self-righting when the occasional rogue wave hits. I’ve finally finished the degree so my bucket list is shorter by one major item.

So I have x number of years remaining to do the things I should do. But what are those things? And what is the fundamental principle that should drive my choices and decisions and efforts going forward?
I have an incredible life partner, better friends than I probably deserve, a decent education and lots of varied experience. Time to get down to it.
How do I bring these things together in aid of – something – so that when I leave the world my last sense can be of a deep and abiding satisfaction?

In the next couple of weeks, I’ll have lots of time on airplanes or sitting in hotels. I plan to spend some of it contemplating this question: If I am indeed the change I seek, what should be the nature of that change?
And what am I waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.