Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Slowing down

I watched a TED talk the other day in which Carl Honore extolled the virtue of slowing down a bit. Slow down our lives, from conversation to sex and everything in between. It was a cool, thoughtful presentation. And it led me to begin my search for a copy of his book, In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed.

Bet I can find a copy at Half Price Books. Or Goodwill, mebbe.
Meanwhile, the whole topic has sort of assumed squatters’ rights in the ole noggin, and seeing as how I can usually get stuff off my mind by writing about it… Come on, you know what's next...

IT'S LIST TIME!!!
My list of things I like to do slo-o-o-owly:

·         Eat

·         Edit writing (except these little missives that get posted pretty much as they come out of the tips of my fingers)

·         Shower, but I’m usually fairly quick; dunno why

·         Read - in bed, in a lawn chair, in the recliner, in hotel rooms and restaurants on the road, whatever

·         Sight see

·         Walk, except when on a machine

·         Arise in the morning

·         Woodworking – I prefer using hand tools

·         Research for road trips

·         Paddle my kayak

·         Stroll through Pike Place Market during my lunch hour

·         Chat with friends

·         Pet a certain Great Dane of my acquaintance

·         Oh, and, hm-m-m

·         Um…er…yes, that (Don’t tell anyone!).

Sometimes, slow is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.