Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Staying home

Counting from last Thursday evening’s arrival back home from a business trip (technically, Friday morning, thanks to some misdirected luggage but I’m not bitter) I have at least the next seven weeks of no business travel. Last time I had such a home stretch was at least three years ago.

I don’t have the words to convey how happy this makes me. Don’t get me wrong here – I truly love my field work with the nonprofits and workers living with disabilities. It’s a wonderful job if ever there was one. And next time I hit the road I’ll enthusiastically throw my go bag in the car and head for the airport.

But I do get tired of living out of a suitcase, eating restaurant food and figuring out showerheads. And you’ll likely not be surprised to learn that regardless of the satisfaction I derive from my day job there is nothing I like quite as much as returning to my nest for a spell.

I love being with Mary, especially when, as is the case tonight we’re not doing anything special. We went to the store for milk and a new wireless mouse, ate dinner together and now we’re sitting in our family room watching a Law and Order rerun. As I said, nothing special. Unless you’re what my company calls a ‘road warrior.’ I am one, so being home on a Sunday evening with no need to pack a bag is a treat.

Next weekend both daughters will be here. Mary and Daughters One and also Two will spend a good part of the three days shopping for stuff de wedding, owing to Two’s newly betrothed status. I will hold down the fort, keep the dogs happy and complete a few items on the get-the-manse-ready-for-sale list. NO, I won’t be accompanying them on their shopping spree. But that’s okay; they’ll be home evenings and we’ll have sit back time together.

MY life these days consists largely of contemplating how truly fortunate I am. And of course, working on the website, which I swear to have up and running soon.


I’m home and as always, that is the best place to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.