Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fall

This has to be my favorite season! I was sitting out on the patio tonight in an Adirondack chair, ostensibly reading but actually watching the dogs snuffling through the fallen leaves. The air was brisk – my spouse would say cold, but what does she know – and there was an intermittent breeze blowing.

Rustling sounds from the trees that frame our back yard soothed me.   I was reading To Serve Them All My Days by R.F. Delderfield and although I’m only thirty-or-so pages into a six hundred page book, it feels welcoming and familiar and I can’t wait to get back to it in bed this evening.
I have a touch of flu or something, so I should have been craving the couch but the Fall owned me. It’s such an optimistic, selfless season. The leaves and other detritus fall to the ground and rot where they lay, preparing the soil for the spring foliage that will take up the baton. Fall is about letting go and trusting there’s a catcher on the other end.
Wish I could say this more clearly. Random thoughts, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.