Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Some thoughts de Joe

A friend to whom I’m distantly related by a combination of blood and marriage and who I wish I’d met earlier in life because he’s truly a great guy has been blogging as he undergoes treatment for cancer in his tongue, with which some of you are already unfortunately familiar. (Deep breath…)

Joe has been blogging regularly to keep us up to date and this one really touched me. So, entirely without Joe’s permission but trusting that he won’t sue me for infringement of emotion, I thought I’d share this with you. He has displayed both courage and grace and I just thought you might appreciate hearing from him.

Saturday, May 24, 2014


Once again, I want to thank everyone for their kind words, cards, and letters!!  And, yes, there have been those delightful articles of physical mail, delivered by a uniformed government employee.  There's still something special about opening those, no matter how old I am. . .

But, I have to admit that while I certainly appreciate the accolades, I am also humbled by them.  Yes, I think that I'm handling the situation with as much strength and grace as I can muster, but no more than any one of you all would if you had to.  And that's one thing we must all remember, to never sell ourselves short, but that that's a different story for a different day. . .    But as I first remember saying to people ten years ago, when my son David was going through his ordeal with this deadly disease, that we never know how much we can handle until we have to, at which point we are often astonished.  Neither then, nor now, do I recall getting a choice in the matter.  "Gee, Monty. . .  That car is really cool and that trip sounds way cool, but I'm going to go for the potentially fatal disease and its attendant pain and suffering behind door number three. . ." 

I will admit this freely - I am a major weenie and had I been given the choice, I would have definitely opted out. . .  But, since there was none, I will meekly submit and continue to cope to the best of my meager abilities.  And, believe me when I tell you this - I have no doubts that any one of you would step up to whatever vile situation you may find yourselves in.  But. . .  I'm going be way, way happier if I never get the opportunity to prove that I was right about that.  In this case, ignorance IS bliss.

Peace and love to one and all!!!

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.