Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Comfort weather

I’ve previously shared my love affair with weather.

Not all weather, mind you.  I’m not a fan of hot weather (anything above about 70 degrees for more than a few minutes) but I’m happy to experience it as a break every now and then. For example, during the Ball of Twine Tour around the country years ago, we drove through some of the hottest parts of the country at the hottest time of the year. While the experience did not inspire me to move there, it was an okay, even quite enjoyable experience. One time only.
I love snow and cold weather as an experience but not as an environment. I look forward to the times when I’m called to work in Fairbanks or North Dakota during the winter but of course, I dress for the experience. Living somewhere that has a seven-month, hard winter would drive me crazy (I’ve had the experience and look how I turned out), if only for the constant added work of being prepared to be caught outside. And of course, at my age – and never having been the most graceful person in almost any gathering – there is the requirement to be ever on the lookout for frozen patches that might provide me with an unfortunate foray into (ballet? hip hop?). I recall with a shiver an episode forty years ago that resulted in a dislocated elbow…

I am perhaps at my most content, with feelings of absolute peace sitting in bed with the covers up to my chest, my morning cup of coffee on the nightstand, a good book in my hands and the sound of rain outside the window. And I dearly love an afternoon spent writing in the basement office, toasty warm while watching a truly impressive rainstorm through the window in front of me. (A snoozing dog at my feet doesn’t hurt the ambience.)
For being out and about, I’ll take a nice blustery day, cool but not cold and hold-your-hat gusty. Pink cheeks but without the frostbite, thank you very much!

Gotta cut this one short and head out to the vet with Odin the Large and Lazy, who seems to be shaking his ears a lot the last week or so. But I had one of those rain from bed mornings and just felt like sharing it with you.
Hope this finds you all warm and comfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.