Total Pageviews

Friday, November 21, 2014

Jacqeline du Pre


I like to run music in the background while I work on anything that is mentally demanding. I calms me and shuts out the randomness of office sounds so I can concentrate. The Internet has been a great boon to me in this regard, as it allows me to perfectly match music to mood with a few keystrokes. ‘Bluegrass’ brings forth offerings from The Dillards, Earl Monroe, even Flatt and Scruggs although a purist might cringe. ‘Classical’ allows me to choose longer works that will not demand intermediate choices while I work. I frequently choose a particular group such as ‘Seattle Symphony’ or composer such as, well, anyone.

Last week, I got on a sectional kick and queued up a full day’s worth of percussion ensemble concerts as background to a job of curriculum development. Turned out to be just the thing to get the proverbial juices flowing. I’m a big Dick Schory fan, particularly Music for Bang, Barroom, and Harp. Tuesday I was on a double reed kick – there’s a young oboist named Katie Sparks who has some of her Baylor recitals posted on You Tube and she’s quite impressive.

Thursday was given over to classical guitar, not least being Ana Vidovic. Check her out.

Then Wednesday I hankered for some cello music as the setting for sorting out some old files. I came across a recording of Jacqueline du Pre playing the Elgar concerto. It was wonderful. Her Elgar was so perfect and expressive that Rostropovich is reported to have refused to play it again after having heard her version.

There aren’t a lot of du Pre recordings on the Net because she stopped playing at 28 due to the effects of the multiple sclerosis that would finally take her at 42. And of course, recording technology during her performing life was not anywhere near what it is today. Still, I hope you’ll consider finding one of her recordings and if you can only choose one, choose the Elgar of her mid-twenties.

There are lessons to be learned from this sojourn but I won’t presume to tell you what they are.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.