Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Recuperation

As many of you know, Mary is recovering from surgery to both feet.  She’s what we think of as a trouper when it comes to surgery. Even so, with healing wounds on both feet, she hasn’t been doing much ballroom dancing the last week, know what I mean?

So, we’ve done a lot of sitting around in the last week.  Okay, so she has been sitting and I’ve been fetching and toting and that’s how it should be when one of us is ailing. I’ve really been enjoying the quiet time together. We’ve watched the tube, read, worked on our individual projects and talked.
We’re coming to a very big crossroads this summer. I’ll get a lot of daughter time and I’m looking forward to that. But with Two graduating and going off to live in yet another distant city and One settling in with both a full time job and her entertaining gigs, they’re really moving down their life paths. And at some point, they’ll each disappear around a bend.

I’ve been worried about that. I have my work and my writing and Mary has her work and her hobbies but I worried about what the third person in the room – the ‘us’ person – would do once we truly become empty nesters.
This week has gone a long way to relieving my fears. I get to go see One’s show in a couple weeks, then we’ll all of us meet for Two’s graduation, then Two and I will do our father-daughter road trip and in August I’ll drive with her to her new city and Mary and I will drive back together. And then here we’ll be, alone together.

And that’s okay. Way okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.