Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 24, 2015

A holiday missive

I sit in my home office in my floppy sweater and slippers and sweat pants. Daughter One is preparing to go pick up her boyfriend to join us for the evening. Daughter Two and her boyfriend are just now waking up after late night cross-country flights. Mary is wrapping.

I have worries today. Such as, did I get enough stuffers for Mary’s stocking? Will everyone enjoy the meals we’ve planned? How will I get that durned Santa blow-up figure to stand upright?
Okay, I get it. Not exactly earth-shattering concerns. But I do have more substantial worries. Will my editorial readers like the book and give me the feedback I need to proceed with final edit? Will I receive Cochran’s book on ISO 9001:2015 in time to have it read before the training in two weeks? What to do with all the crap that has settled in this office as we work to de-clutter the house (and how did my writing space become the designated bin-de-crap)?

I admit I find myself somewhat ashamed of this paltry attempt to find drama in my life. The fact is, I am better off than a high percentage of dads in this world. My kids never had to wonder whether food or shelter would materialize. Or whether they were loved. Or welcome. And growing up, neither did I.
 Most of my friends and I grew up in a bubble of time and place and circumstance in which our subsistence was assured. We were halfway up Mazlow’s Heirarchy of Needs the day we were born. And if we missed out on ‘Esteem’ or ‘Self-Actualization,’ the failure was at least in part a function of our own choices, or lack thereof.

This is the time of year when many of us gaze upon the mountains of gifts under trees and wonder at the concept of ‘enough.’ Don’t get me wrong – I do not propose guilt at largesse. The urges to provide and to please are both positives, to my mind. But the charity we all seek this season will be more complete if we extend the ring outward, don’t you think?
I find myself reflecting on the people who through no fault of their own find themselves today in less secure circumstances.  Some of them are short on cash, some suffering from illness, some just having trouble sorting out life. I wish hope for them all.

One demographic that we can each and all help are the teens who are ‘aging out’ of foster care. Please consider helping one of these kids, many of whom just need a secure place to stand as they make their start. And perhaps every now and then a shoulder to lean on.
Many of these kids reside in the twilight existence of ‘almost.’ Many need not much more than a hand and a nudge.

You know what to do.
http://www.childrensrights.org/newsroom/fact-sheets/aging-out/

http://www.aecf.org/resources/helping-children-aging-out-of-foster-care-prepare-for-independence/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.