Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 2, 2016

A disturbance in the Force

Elie Wiesel has died.

He was a hero to me, and the mentor I never met.

After surviving the holocaust, he spent a lifetime trying to convince men and women of goodwill to speak out because silence always favors the oppressor. And he reminded us that to be a bystander is to be part of the problem.

He judged an essay I wrote once and I have to say it was a peak experience to know he'd read my writing. And frightening beyond words.

He taught me as he taught the world. And he has died but he will never be gone.

Please read his trilogy. Do that for me.

But even if not, please read Night, the first of the three. Do that for yourself and for humankind. If you haven't read this book, you might be in danger of believing the Holocaust can't happen again, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.