Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Bird's eye view

Flying eastward over the Cascades on a recent morning, the combination of sun angle and my plane’s altitude provided the perfect moving postcard view of the terrain features. I found myself looking down from above the peaks and ridges with just the right shadowing to reveal every feature, nook, and also, cranny of this grand mountain range.

Now, before I start sounding too much like a travelogue, allow me to admit that my words do no justice to the quality of the view. That said, please believe that the view was worthy of a much better notice / describer than I and that I so wish each and all of you could have shared the experience.

I’m always a bit surprised and thrilled to my bones at the number and clarity of mountain-top lakes in this region. Yes, the ones nestled in lower valleys are lovely but the ones that catch my eye are the smaller, usually circular catchments right at the peaks.

One of the lakes I spot this morning is maybe a few hundred yards across, edged by the merest fringe of dirt before the old growth forest begins. The deep blue – not to mention the snow on the peaks around it – offers testimony to the frigidity of the water, even now in mid-July. I’d give anything to be on it in my kayak but fortunately, it is not accessible for such activities, given the density of forest, steepness of the slopes and lack of a road anywhere near. I say fortunately, because given easier access this gem would surely be spoiled by the incursions of the likes of moi with our boats and coolers and campfires.


Gawd, but I love where I live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.