Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 2, 2012

An interview

Mary and I were engaged and I was moving from San Jose to Fresno, where we intended to set up marital shop. Which meant finding a new job.

I was called to the L.A. headquarters of the company that was locating a printing plant in the Fresno area and needed a manager to set up all the new business relationships, manage the move, etc.  They'd called me in for a ‘360,’ meaning I went through seven interviews in six hours.

It was a grueling experience, but as I walked to my car at the end of the day, I felt the interviews had gone well, I wanted the job, but was afraid to be too confident.
The parking was across the street from the company offices and as I pulled out of the lot to head back to Fresno, I noticed several of my interviewers waving madly at me through the office windows. “Wow,” thought I, ” I must have REALLY made a great impression on them! Yowser!”

I waved back, which only caused them to gesticulate more wildly. Some of them were emphatically pointing at me, leading me to believe I had the job and they were thrilled to let me know I was the one.

I was tempted to bask in their whole-hearted acceptance and embrace. But just then, I got a break in traffic, so with a final wave and smile, I pulled out into traffic and made the right at the end of the block.

About that time, the cop’s lights behind me brought me back to earth. I pulled over and sat with my hands on the wheel while he got off his bike and sauntered up to my window.

“What’s the problem, officer?” said I, hoping I looked as mystified as I felt.

Without a word, he reached above the car, retrieved my briefcase and handed it to me through the open window, then turned on his heel and walked back to his motorcycle.

It was a long drive home that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.