Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Can and Can’t



CAN:
Remember being the first human being other than the obstetrician to see her enter the world

Recall the moment at the concert when my little daughter decided she just had to be a performer
Look back on all the triumphs – and stumbles – between then and now

Sit in her empty bedroom to feel the fading tendrils of her presence and wish it could linger just a bit longer

Pat the dogs, who know something has changed but can’t imagine what it might be
Concentrate on sending her my best thoughts for safe travels and a happy life

Wish I had another minute, hour, day to spend just trading smart aleck cracks with her
Bring to mind the sound of her voice

Know she’s going to reach heights I can’t imagine for her
Feel the pride swelling my chest like someone was pumping in compressed air

Love her with all my soul forever
Wish Orlando was closer

Regret every time I failed to make her feel as loved as she always was
Love being her Dad

Hold back the tears, not because men don’t cry but because I don’t want her to start
Watch her go

CAN’T:
Turn back time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.