Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 23, 2014

This perfect day (with apologies to Ira Levin)


Allow me to begin this by stating categorically that I love my wife and enjoy spending time with her. I love visiting with my sibs and I live for times spent with my Daughters, One and also Two. The EE Girls and Bill and others fill my soul.  I even enjoy the folks I work with. Well, most of them anyway…
But sometimes I really just like to be alone. And with me beloved in Ohio for a high school reunion, well…

Today was the first of a three day weekend for me. I just finished managing a conference in another state, the arrangements for which have had my brain running in high gear these last several weeks. So I scheduled a vacation day Monday to extend the weekend and allow time to wind down.
Which is precisely what I did all day. Wind down, that is.

I didn’t get up until almost 7:00am, much to the consternation of two canine members of the family whose usual breakfast hour is 6:00. (They survived this great trauma.) Having fed the mutts and made my morning brew, I went back to bed with coffee and book for the better part of an hour.
Breakfast was casual.

I started watching Under the Skin because I usually like Scarlet Johansson but I realized early on it was a boobs and butts movie and forced edgy, neither of which are high on my hit parade. I like movies with actual, you know, stories and as I’ve previously opined in these virtual pages, it’s all about context when speaking of nudity. Alone before noon with a cup of coffee and a naked Johansson just felt too creepy so I killed the movie and got on with the chores du jour.
I spent the greater part of the day dismounting doors, removing hardware, sanding and taping in preparation for Mary to paint said doors. Since these are doors of the French variety with fifteen lights per, the sanding and taping will continue tomorrow and possibly even Monday, although I’m hoping by then to have moved on to reorganizing the office.

This evening I grilled a small steak, watched a couple of Big Bang Theory reruns and got to my writing for the night. My other writing, the writing I do when I’m not blogging, which of course accounts in part for the paucity of blog entries of late.
Soon I shall repair to bedchamber mine with a new book, having finished the old one during my lunch break (pulled pork sandwich and nonfat milk).

Now, some or all of this might be boring to my faithful readers and at risk of being thought impolite, let me just say that this possibility does not really bother me all that much.
This was a perfect day.

MY perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.