Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 14, 2014

What I do

I’m running a conference next week so this week was hell week. Actually, the last few weeks have been hell week. I’ve come home every evening dog tired and brain dead. And it will all be worth it in a few days.

From Sunday through Thursday next, I will spend most of my time running to and fro, shoring up this, plugging that, dealing with A/V failures and special dietary needs and misunderstandings and egos and, and, and…
…and I will love every minute of it. THESE ARE MY PEOPLE!

The folks who will attend this conference spend their working lives and for most of them, significant portions of their personal lives working to achieve some measure of social equity. The way we go about it is woefully inefficient.  But it’s what we’ve got.
We should achieve social equity – and by this I mean its most basic form, an equal playing field for everyone who’s willing to come out and play – simply by everybody and every community being fair and compassionate and empathetic. But the thing is, not everyone is that way. And those of us who try to be frequently fall short of the mark. I know I do.

We shouldn’t have to create this whole web of non-profit organizations of people working to give a fair shake to people living with disabilities. But right now, we do. It’s what we have.
So, next week, as big of a pain in the yadooch as it will be to be the guy charged with running this sonference thing, as tired as I’ll be and no matter how many times I’ll want to just find a corner and cry, I won’t. Because I’ll be having a great time.

These are my peeps.
And that’s one of the most egotistical things I will ever be able to say about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.