Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Nicholas Sparks


Nicholas Sparks is really not good at suspense.

And that’s okay by me.

I thoroughly enjoy reading books by this guy. Just now I’m reading The Rescue and I’m enjoying every page, sentence, stanza and turn of phrase. Even though I’ve known since about page fifteen what’s going to happen and the twist with the title revealed itself early on.

There is something satisfying about starting a book in the sure and certain knowledge that good will out and the protagonist will ultimately be okay. It’s relaxing and reassuring and, I don’t know… homey, I suppose.

It also helps that I like characterization and this cat is a past master at creating characters I can come to know quickly and understand entirely. I hope the characters in my fiction are just as clearly their own selves.

His settings aren’t bad either.

I really like Sparks, even if he doesn’t do suspense.

2 comments:

  1. Suspense? No. But he does throw in surprises now and then. Kind of like when you just know the antagonist surely drives a Pontiac; you turn the page and, viola, she drives up in a Buick!

    I'm like: "Whoa, I wasn't expecting that!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dost I detecteth tincture of snarkiness there?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.