Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 15, 2011

There’s Kayaking and Then There’s Kayaking

It seems like no matter how good you get at something, there’s always someone else who’s enough better to be in a position to point and laugh. I’m getting to where I’m not bothered by this essential truth.
Take kayaking. I’ve been chortling at my bro-in-laws for years about the punkiness of what they refer to as kayaking. Apparently, they feel that sitting on a flat plastic sled without so much as a wayward ripple on waters that average 80 degrees qualifies as kayaking. One of them even has little duck-flipper propellers - the cheek!
I’m reading a book on kayaking adventures, one of many that line my home shelves. This one is about coastal paddling north of Vancouver, B.C.  Admittedly, some of the kayaking venues described in the book would scare the bejeesus out of yours truly. Such as when they’re talking about the great sights and then nonchalantly drop the news that “while paddling most of the inlet is relaxing, several kayakers get torn to shreds each year in the narrows.”  Or my favorite, “usually placid, a south wind can turn this bay into a churning mix master from hell.”
So, I’m thinking the woman who wrote this part of the book would probably point and laugh at what I call kayaking. And that’s okay. Because while I’m not bothered by cold water (we wear wet suits), rain (that’s what stupid looking hats are for), light chop or reasonable wakes, I draw the line at what might be termed gonzo paddling. You probably won’t find me crossing the English Channel any time soon.
Ditto, as to Class V rapids.  I know, looks like fun.  It also looks like a good way to separate body from soul. Daughter Two wants to take whitewater lessons.  Guess I can’t stop her… Plus, she’s a better paddler than her old man. It’s a sure bet  I won’t be taking that trip with her any time soon.
I’ll probably continue to smirk at the bro-in-laws just as the woman who wrote that book might tsk at me. And that’s okay all around. We each find our comfort level at which we can be fearless on the water, enjoying the sights and sounds of sites and Sounds.  It’s all good.
But really – sit-on-tops? (Smirk!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.