Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither

Franklin was right when he spoke those words.
So I wonder: why do we (yes, I’m guilty, too!) put up with the insanely invasive ministrations of TSA folks at the airports? I’m totally on board with passing through detectors and having my luggage searched. But letting a stranger in a booth look at my naked image? Subjecting myself to being touched all over by a stranger in front of dozens of other strangers?
I can’t refuse – they’ll just put me on a no-fly list and cost me the means of supporting my family. And we do have to protect ourselves to a reasonable extent. The question is what’s reasonable?
Not sure I have an answer to this one. But whenever I pass through security these days, I think about how you boil a frog.  History is unfortunately full of instances of populations losing their rights by degrees because at no point was the new transgression enough to compel them to yell, “Enough!”

1 comment:

  1. "A resolution to avoid an evil is seldom framed till the evil is so far advanced as to make avoidance impossible."
    Thomas Hardy

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.