Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

More about stuff

Many moons ago, when Daughter One and also Daughter Two were small, our house was burgled. It was a traumatic experience that made us feel violated just like in the books and movies. The worst part was the few things they took that were irreplaceable. Mary’s name necklace from her grandmother. I think that was the big thing.

I hope we’re never burgled again but if we are, I’m hoping that the burglar’s shopping list at least roughly parallels my list of stuff that’s sitting around here gathering dust:
·         DVDs of movies we didn’t like the first time;
·         About half of our Christmas CDs;
·         All the underwear that no longer fits my ample caboose;
·         Speaking of clothes, tees that fit the mid-twenties me;
·         Our old, old silverware;
·         Half of what’s in the downstairs closet, and I don’t care which half;
·         Every single thing that we bought on sale, thinking we’d need them someday and then never did;
·         The countertop appliances we don’t use;
·         Half of my coats, but I get to pick which half;
·         The nastiest eight of the dogs’ chew toys;
·         The two-thirds of our board games that no one ever plays;
·         All the out of focus photos, which is to say, the ones I took;
·         The broken shovel that even I don’t know why I kept;
·         The small dog (DO NOT tell Daughter One);
·         About nine of the dog leashes;
·         Speaking of dogs, Sam’s ashes – I still love that mutt and I think he’d get a hoot out of some low life opening the beautiful box to find a bag of ashes and bone chips;
·         The old barbecue;
·         The electric car that we got from a garage sale and which Daughter One played with precisely once;
·         The box of tuna helper that’s so old, neither of us will admit to ever having purchased it;
·         All the dandelions they can carry.
They should be able to get a good garage sale out of this much stuff. Chances are, we wouldn’t even press charges.

3 comments:

  1. This makes me smile. I have most of this stuff sitting around taking up much needed room. The ones I relate to the most are the nasty mostly chewed up dog toys and Tuna helper. p.s. I think Winnie and Pooh would also enjoy the thief's screwed up face when he finds the ashes instead of the family jewels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZOEY STAYS. Also, you forget that both Daughter Two and I have keepsakes in that closet, sir!

    Good call though. I do agree with most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read this one today. Couldn't agree more! Can't think of much Larry I would be sad for them to take - except our COMPUTERS - on which are all our photos and the files of all the home movies we took of the kids! When we were burgled in 1991, they took our video camera, with video tape inside. That tape was more precious than anything as it contained documentation of my daughter's first year of life. Fuckers... Oops! Did I say that!? Sorry...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.