Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Karaoke... or not

As I was eating my soup and Caesar salad at Applebee’s this evening, I noticed a DJ starting to set up for Karaoke Night. I started eating a bit more quickly, intending to be out of there before the festivities began.  And I was, paying the check and scooting out the front door just as the bass began to thump.

For those who knew me a lifetime ago, that might seem odd. I spent a good deal of my young adult life singing for audiences in one venue or another and I used to sing in piano bars before Karaoke. I would go with friends from the theatre but wouldn’t get up and sing by myself. But then, I would go back the next night without Tuthill and the others, and sing my heart out.
It might seem out of character for a singer not to want to perform at the drop of a hat, but I always saw the singing me as occupying two different sides of the coin. I’ve never had a problem with crooning in front of audiences when it was on my own terms. In scripted shows, in scheduled sets in a bar, for weddings and church services, I opened my mouth and the dulcet tones issued forth.
I’ve never known why karaoke should be different, but it is. There was a piano bar in San Jose years ago where I would regularly sing the same few songs, so long as I was comfortable with the crowd. Then one night, I was there with theatre friends, It was near closing time and I hadn’t performed, but thenout of nowhere the accompanist announced me to sing Lush Life.  It has always been one of my favorite songs to sing. I love the mood of it, the tone and timbre and how it felt , how it rested in the pipes. And that night I rocked the house with it.
And I never sang it again. And never again went to that piano bar.
I love to sing. I got out of the habit while distracted with little things like raising a family. But recently, I had the old Martin reset and tempered. And I’m feeling the old yearning again. I’ll sing again for Mary soon. There’s nothing quite like singing.
So long as the audience is right.

2 comments:

  1. Feeling reflective tonight because one of my idles passed away. When you and Mary come out this summer can we go do Kareokee (sp?)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.