Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Jiggs

Jiggs the Exuberant is a boxer who lives in the house around the corner, which also shares about twenty feet of backyard fence line with us. He spends a fair amount of time trying to figure out how to get over, under or through the fence to frolic with our doggies.

Jiggs lives in a rental house occupied by a frequently changing cast of early twenties car enthusiasts and as far as I can tell, he’s on his third ‘owner.’ I think the house comes furnished with him. And while his human roommates seem to treat him well, seem even to take delight in his presence, it’s become clear they don’t all understand the concept of closed gates.
These failures in our neighbors’ security system occur at irregular intervals but generally every couple of weeks or so. Jiggs’ jaunts are short lived but joyful. For whatever reason, he celebrates his independence by making a beeline for Chez McDermott, where he frolics outside the family room picture window until I notice him and come outside, leash in hand. He jumps and licks and squiggles his little boxer body in the most amazing display of unabashed love and joy, then leans against my leg while I attach the leash to his collar. He does this whole body wag thing that threatens to make his nose and butt meet on the far side of my calf.

Meanwhile, Odin the Large and Lazy and Zoey the Small and Annoying are barking up a storm from behind the window, incensed at the idea that their human is being co-opted by the boxer from the back fence. As Jiggs and I head for home, I can hear them barking all the way. They are not impressed with my little buddy.
Jiggs doesn’t fight capture; in fact, he runs to me when I call. And he squiggles all the way home.  Today it was the front door that was left open and Jiggs happily ran inside to his water bowl. Then, his adventure concluded, he gave no indication of noticing my departure.

Upon my arrival back home, of course I have to submit to a round of suspicious sniffing from Odin and Zoey before I can resume my life. That is, until Jiggs’ next Great Escape.
I find myself looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.