Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Home alone

(NOTE: Meant to post this last night but I was too busy frantically cleaning the house before Mary got home -NOT!)

Mary comes home tonight. In fact, as I type this, she’s approximately over Helena, MT and in a half hour, I’ll head to the airport. Can’t wait!

Whenever Mary is gone and I’m home alone, I field a lot of “typical husband home alone” comments from co-workers and others. The thrust is that I’m expected – as a man – to be thrilled at the prospect of a long weekend alone in the castle.
The assumption is that I’ll eat ‘my foods,’ rent inappropriate movies and let the place go to the dogs. I actually had someone ask me today if I needed to get home early to clean up the place before Mary returns.

Well, I do eat what I want but probably not what they might think. The house looks at least as good as when she left and not because of any last minute blitz.
I’m never thrilled at the prospect of Mary being gone. The life we’ve crafted, we’ve crafted together. She is my best buddy, true love and occasional verbal sparring partner. What she is not, is my keeper.

I will pick her up tonight and when we get home, I’ll go right to bed so I can be up to catch the bus to work, while Mary stays up awhile to wind down from her trip home.  And that’s okay. Just having her in the house is a win every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.