Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Book thievery


I saw the movie version of The Book Thief on a flight from somewhere to somewhere else and thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that I decided to read the book upon which it was loosely based. I say loosely because so much was cut out to make the story movie length that they really aren’t the same story at all.
I don’t like spoilers so I won’t do anything remotely resembling a review here. I’ll just say that they each deserve to be considered separately.

Watch the movie first. Then when you read the book, the added characters, plotline and theme will make the story new for you. Reading the book first might make the movie pale in comparison and that would be a shame, because the script, direction and acting are all fabulous.
But do get around to reading the book. Marcus Zusak makes me just want to give up writing – that is, assuming I could spend the time thus saved reading books this good.

1 comment:

  1. Don't you dare give up writing! I am patiently waiting for your first book!

    Book Thief was excellent movie, but will be downloading book today!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.