Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 4, 2012

That was silly


So, today I decided to tackle the kitchen sink. I’ve been sick for over a week and I’m really fed up with being a moaning, hacking couch potato. And the sink was both leaking and failing to drain, so it was high time to clean out and re-set the strainer.

Now, we’ve been having this problem for some time, including several weekends when Mary and I were both home. Why I chose today, when I’m not entirely up to snuff (I’m still sniffing) and no one else is in the house to help will remain a mystery.

Here’s the thing… If you’re going to pull the drain and strainer assembly from your kitchen sink, one of two conditions must prevail. Either,

1.       You need to have a helper; or,

2.       You need to have a tool called a strainer wrench, in addition to the strap wrench you use to turn the locking ring.

I had neither a helper nor a strainer wrench. Which means I spent about an hour trying to grow a third arm or alternatively, find some way to jam the strainer in place so that it wouldn’t just spin while I tried to free the locking ring. Note for those of you who might try this in future – long screwdrivers, duct tape, the handle end of a channel lock wrench and an old butter knife are all equally and utterly useless for this task.
It’s entirely possible I created several previously unimagined expletives this afternoon. I’m proud of a couple of them but not proud enough to share them here.

I blew about an hour before I headed off to the hardware store, tail between my legs, for the right tool. Of course, by then I’d bludgeoned the existing strainer out of round, so I had to buy one of them, as well.

There’s an old saying to the effect that nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

The job I did today should have been foolproof.

Ahem…

1 comment:

  1. When you need to fix your kitchen sink and if you want it in easier and faster way, having an assistant is what it takes. Repairing some part of our house are meant not just alone.
    Regards,
    Natineah

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.