Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wonders in ice


A couple of times in the last decade, I’ve happened to be in Fairbanks during or just after the World Ice Art Championships. Both times, it was a stellar experience. And not just because of the blanket of stars above.
Anyway, my bro and his wife will be up there this year just in time for the end of the judging and they’re crazy if they don’t check it out. And I realized this is something I want to share with any of you who’ve vacations to plan and have never perused professionally carved ice art.

If you have the brains Gawd gave a corkscrew, you’ll stop reading right now and follow this link: http://www.icealaska.com. And be sure to click on “The Sculptures,” after which I promise you’ll be terminally hooked.
And if it should come to pass that you actually find yourself traveling to Fairbanks to view ice art some future winter, perhaps you’ll consider some advice from one who’s made the trek from the Lower Forty-Eight to the land of frozen masterpieces:

·         Take warm clothes. I have a garment we call my ‘Alaska coat’ that I swear would keep me toasty in anything above absolute zero. It has a hood and a whole bunch of large pockets that I’ve filled with gloves, mittens, a scarf, a watch cap, and several chemical hand warmers. It goes with me to Fairbanks in March, even if I have to pack an extra bag to manage it (the thing is huge).

·         Try to time your visit for just before – but not during – the judging. You’ll avoid the judging crowds and you’ll see a nice mix of finished goods and artworks in progress. And many of the carvers are only too willing to chat with genuinely interested touristas. Especially if you offer to fetch a hot drink.

·         Go at night.  Most of the artworks are intended to be seen with the lighting the artists have provided. It’s worth the shivering (which won’t happen if you’ve heeded the advice adjacent to the first bullet above).  And if you do manage the trip, by all means…

·         SEND ME PICTURES!
You can thank me when you get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.