Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Academy Awards


I was at the gym for much of the Academy Awards show this evening, then at the store and in the shower. The upshot is that I basically saw the very beginning and the very end, along with odd snippets here and there.

There were some great movies this year, not all of which I’ve seen. I suppose it’s time to get off my ample caboose and go see Argo and the one with Jennifer Lawrence (I know, terrible that I can’t recall the name but you know which one I’m talking about). Maybe Lincoln but I admit to being a little tired of revisionism and I’ve heard things.

Of the bits I saw, my  favorite was when Chris Terrio won for the Argo screenplay. This guy was just so clearly thrilled and humbled and felt so validated. And even when he got up again as part of the crew of Argo when it won the Best Picture Oscar, he was still bubbling over, hugging Clooney and just overwhelmed.

I’ve never done any screenwriting, of course, so I can only imagine what it’s like to do the work, much less to have your work recognized as the best of the year. But it seems to me that creating a story whose translation depends upon the vision and sensitivity and talent and hard work of so many others has to be the ultimate professional leap of faith.  And this guy was just so appreciative. Forget the tuxes and gowns and the snarky inside jokes. This guy’s reaction to the congratulations of his peers made the evening for me.

(Oh, yeah, Silver Linings Playbook. Gotta see that one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.