Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 28, 2013

More noticing

Work duties found me driving the spine of Whidbey Island between Clinton and Oak Harbor today and as is my wont, I starting right in noticing things. And not all of them involved places where I might someday put my kayak in the water although, admittedly, that was my overriding intent. (Found some good ‘uns, too!)

Some of the notable non-paddling-related items:
In addition to the many deer crossings, I saw a warning sign that read “Otter Crossing.” Wish I’d had a camera.

At least three people who were apparently quite entertained by the sight of this old geezer rocking out while singing along with the sound track from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. Glad to provide your smile for the day.
A guy who was totally into his role as a sign-waving Statue of Liberty, using a rotating sign to advertise for a tax preparation service. It’s not always the job; sometimes, it’s what you make of it.

Some of the most drop dead gorgeous salt water views I’ve ever seen. Seriously.
An apparent penchant among the islanders for quirky mailboxes, including polka dots, stripes, floral patterns and one that was a dead ringer for a hobbit house.

And my favorite for the day, spotted right along the highway hard by the turnoff at Tomchuck Road, a hu-u-u-uge, bright pink mailbox emblazoned with Love Letters Only in a large, bold hand.
I hope that one gets lots of use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.