Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Miscellany


So, I’m trolling the CNN site for bloggable ideas and I come across the following story teaser: Golfer falls into 18-foot sinkhole. I wish I could have been in the newsroom to hear the comments that didn’t make it onto the webpage.
Also in the news: Hostess has been bought and Twinkies are coming back this summer. For those of you who found themselves disconsolate at my earlier post about the demise of Hostess, this is a reprieve of sorts. For American kids already struggling with obesity, maybe reprieve isn’t the best word.

“Brutality in South Africa’s culture” doesn’t seem to be news, this being the country that gave us the Boer War, apartheid, necklacing and black-only ‘townships’ made of discarded cardboard.
Under the category of “slow news day,” I found a listing of Ten Vintage Girls’ Names You Don’t Hear Anymore and they included: Joyce, Roseanne, Hattie, Dorothy, Madeline, Willow, Pamela, Ann, Leona, and Janet. Okay, I’ll give you Hattie and possibly even Leona. But I know women who bear each of the other names and two of them are among my sisters. Ann? Really?

I see a posting on DexKnows that lists U.S. churches and includes the line, “Protestant and other Christian churches make up about 314,000 of those, while Catholic churches and Orthodox churches total about 24,000.” Uhm, are Catholic and Orthodox churches no longer Christian? Not that I have a dog in the fight but sheesh! Ya gotta wonder if Dex actually does know (anything).

Sorry. Slow night all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.