Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 17, 2013

You gotta see this!

Me bro and his esposa are currently up in Fairbanks to see the Aurora Borealis and since they hit their timing right, they’ll also be checking out the finished works of the World Ice Art Championships. I was so hoping this would work out for them because I’ve been twice and I would go again every year if I could afford it.

The ice carving is nothing short of fantastic. Some themes are whimsical, some heroic, some classically influenced and some ultra modernistic. There are incredibly massive structures with intricate bas relief and incredible, delicate flights of fancy that seem to defy gravity.
I’m not usually real taken with fine art but when it’s rendered in ice, the whole thing takes on a different cast. Because this may be the shortest lived art you’ll ever see. I mean, even a live theatrical performance will be repeated the next evening. But this is fine art that melts and there’s something about the fact that makes it seem more precious to me.

Okay, enough pontificating. Please don’t take my word for this but rather, follow the link below and check it out for yourself.
And if you’ve ever the opportunity, go see it in person and at night. Oh, and wear warm clothing – this is, after all, ice sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.