Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Stick to what you know

I was trolling for something interesting on the tube tonight and came across a re-enactment of the oral arguments before the Supreme Court in re:  Gideon v. Wainwright, 1963. This is the landmark case in which Clarence Gideon requested that the Supremes consider whether he should have been afforded counsel during his trial. Fifty years ago, the Court granted certiorari, Abe Fortas agreed to argue it, and the right to counsel became enshrined as one of the basic protections.

This is one of my all time fave cases and while I’ve read the pleadings and decision, I’ve never seen it re-enacted. Yes, yes, I’ve seen Gideon’s Trumpet, but that great movie nevertheless takes liberties. I looked forward to watching the whole thing play out in the original words.
Turns out the ‘actors’ are lawyers from the WA State Supremes and UW law school.

As long as these folks are around, Arnold Schwarzenegger need not worry about being called the worst actor in the worst movie ever.
So, a life lesson for lawyers: stick to what you know.   Please!

(And while we’re here, I’m equally unimpressed with actors doing PSAs to tell me how to run my life. Again, stick to what you know.    Please.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.