Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Park people

Today I felt like a hamster in a running wheel and the wheel was winning.

I love the work I do and particularly the work I’ve been doing this week but it’s definitely kicking my ample caboose. I’m preparing materials for teaching next week and managing a startup project that I’m not sure I totally understand and, and, and…
My evenings are alternately taken up with the quest for health and the quest for a reasonably clean house and orderly yard. Spending time with mine frau occupies a lot of quality time and of course, there’s sitting around. QUALITY sitting around, doncha know.

The park across from my office has of late become populated by denizens. Bums, as it were. Mostly fairly young, certainly young enough to be working gainfully at something. They take up a lot of the park and in the morning you literally have to step over them to get off the bus.
Between their obvious commerce in illicit drugs and having to walk around evidence of their public and copious bladder emptying activities, they are not what one might call a positive presence. And this particular group makes clear while asking for the proverbial spare change that the line between begging and strong arm robbery is defined only by the near presence of the police. I don’t like that they’re there. And I could do a whole rant about it except that I find myself feeling a bit sorry for them.

Don’t get me wrong – I don’t like them and I DO judge them. They got themselves where they are. They could be working a couple of the crap jobs I worked at the less exalted junctures of my journey to where I am now.
The thing is, I can’t help reflecting that at least once each evening - most likely as they lay down on the concrete swaddled in gospel mission blankets - that street  life is not deluxe and it’s going to get worse before morning.

I wish they were hardworking and dependable and productive and honest. I wish they were willing to do the things I've done to get along in the world. But I also wish they were warm and dry.

3 comments:

  1. Sadly, I have two nieces, one 44 and one 20, both of whom have decided that living in the park, begging, hiding at night and occasionally being a punching bag for some other person who would also prefer meth and pot and handouts to any other type of living situation.

    We invited one of them to live with us and it was a nightmare.

    Granted, there are homeless people who are struggling to make it but there is a large portion who choose it and it pisses me off that the park I pay my city taxes to maintain has to pick up after people to lazy to walk to the public restrooms and too drugged up to know they smell like, well, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frankly, I think "Park People" is too nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get me wrong. Feeling sorry for them occasionally is NOT the same as saying I'd ever give them a dime. They're creeps who've chosen to live as denizens. And they would likely not feel a moment's compassion for me if the tables were turned.
    There are lots of folks who are destitute through no fault of their own. This ain't them.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.