Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Erratum

In an earlier post contrasting This Explains Everything with Sh*t My Dad Says, I may have been somewhat too over the top regarding the former book, even as I accused the compiler of hyperbole.
For those who might check out this book on the basis of my recommendation, I do indeed recommend it, but with a caveat. As I got farther into it, I came to realize that my initial skepticism was well placed. (Note to self - don't recommend a book before reading all the way through.)

Don't get me wrong - there are some great minds represented here and I do find myself stopping to ponder much of what they have to say. But true to my suspicions regarding the self-aggrandizement of the editor, he has indeed chosen a number of contributors who are clearly more impressed with displaying (and occasionally misapplying, ahem) polysyllabic vocabulary than with profundity of thought. Some of the ideas presented are downright specious and many badly argued.

Buy this book if you can get it at a discount and be prepared to be disappointed as often as inspired. If you want to be consistently inspired (and frequently comically horrified) read Sh*t My Dad Says.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.