Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Losing Face (And Not Much Else)

I gave in and called my doctor’s office today. Truth be told, I should have made the call weeks ago. The shoulder has really been giving me fits and I’m way past the point of hoping it will heal by itself.
I’m not afraid of doctors, mind you. In fact, ours has a decent sense of humor and she really listens to her patients. Our doctor before her was the same. Mary and I have had a run of good luck in the primary care physician arena.
I don’t dread being poked and prodded, manipulated, photographed inside and out, starved, stabbed or stapled. It doesn’t bother me to have medical apparatae put in me, on me or over me.  I am sincerely curious about all the cool toys the docs have to play with. And I’ve never been very body shy, although I’m not an exhibitionist, either.
What bothers me is The Look. You know the one. The “yeah, sure you’re going to take the tonnage off - who do you think you’re kidding” look. People at work and old friends can be counted on to pretend I look great and sometimes even suggest without cracking a grin that I look like I’ve lost weight.  But not my doctor.
My doctor is the one person in the world who keeps a record of my abject failure in the area of body mass.  And I actually pay her to disapprove of my lack of progress.  It’s like being the only kid who doesn’t have his report ready and then being called on first. And then doing it again. And then doing it again.  I’ll take invasive exams over The Look any day of the week. I’ve been getting The Look from my doctor and from her colleague before her for several years now and it’s really getting old.
This is where the hurting shoulder comes in. Logic tells me I have to get it checked before it gets worse. It’s not like I want to live without a working shoulder joint. Unfortunately, getting it checked out means taking my shirt off in front of my doctor which will lead, tragically, inexorably, to The Look.
So, dear readers, I throw myself on your tender mercies. Anyone know how I can calve off about, say, forty pounds by 2:00pm Tuesday?

2 comments:

  1. You could find that chisel from the garage and do your own surgery. ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem, both of them, infact, Weight-challenged and sore shoulder. I think the shoulder pain comes from over use, shrugging said shoulder as I pour the bowl of cereal at midnight thinking I will start the diet tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.