Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Back to da bus!

                Our offices are moving in a few months to a building downtown. For the first time, we’re not going to have free parking. The expectation is that the employees will be given monthly bus passes. Which is okay by me.
                We’re fortunate to live in an area where we can get just about anywhere by public transportation. Given my age and depending on the term of the new lease, it’s quite possible I’ll never again drive a work commute. Except, of course, when I have to pop into work to pick up teaching materials for a trip, but they’ll have shared spaces for that.
                And that is SO fine by me!
                I truly love riding the bus. Of course, that’s easy for me to say, because in this new location, I won’t even have a transfer. Get on a block from home and get off two blocks from work.  
                My working life is about to get just a bit better.  Live for the little pleasures, I say!

1 comment:

  1. I support public transportation in concept, but am woefully remiss in practice. Having commuted on the bus at various times, I know it's doable, but it can be a pain. Basic rule of thumb: any trip in a car will take twice the time on a bus.

    That might be due to how well our local traffic moves; I remember how amazed you were that 880 was moving at the limit even during rush hour, while such a thing is unheard of in Seattle.

    I think the biggest problem is the real estate maxim of 'if there's land available, build out, not up.' It's helped push the sprawl we have here in San Jose. It's my belief, especially now during this housing crunch, that we pressure our city governments to discourage new housing at the edges and push for more quality high density housing closer to town centers.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.