Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Customer Service

It had been a tough week all around and the last thing I needed was a letter from the phone company politely informing me that my ex-roommate had left me saddled with a large long distance bill that I needed to pay immediately and in person, lest my service be interrupted. A call to their billing office yielded nothing more than polite but firm insistence that I must pay in person and that it had to happen more or less immediately. Resignedly, I made an appointment for the next day.

The next day, as my co-workers huddled around the lunch wagon, I ran to my car and raced to the phone company offices, figuring that if everything went smoothly and I didn’t get pulled over for speeding, I’d have time to pay the bill and grab some fast food to wolf down during the drive back. I made it there in record time and without breaking many traffic laws and scurried inside. Pushing through the second set of doors, I quickly brushed by the line of walk-ins.

“Ma’am,” said I in a voice that I thought conveyed the perfect mix of deference to her exalted position and harried stress at being delayed by having to detour around the line of ThoseWhoSimplyWalkedIn. “Ma’am,” I asked the petulant looking beauty school dropout behind the counter,” can you tell me where to go for a twelve-fifteen appointment with the billing supervisor?” The chill that ran down my spine was caused less by her disgusted sneer than by the sound of a watery chuckle from a man about halfway back in the ever-growing queue. When I looked at him, the man shrugged sympathetically.

“I’m 12 noon. The people in front of me are eleven-forty-five. is somewhere back there.” And my gaze followed his jerked thumb, taking in a line that now stretched out the door through which I had originally entered.

“Sir, please step aside,” said the big-haired creature behind the counter.

In a flash of recognition and resignation, I realized how completely I’d been had. Checking my watch as I slunk to the end and observing the line’s progress for a few minutes, I knew there was no way I was going to get back to work on time, much less stop for sustenance along the way.  Worst of all, my boss had bet me I wouldn’t make it back in less than two hours and it looked like I was in grave danger of owing him a lunch.

It took forty minutes to reach the head of that line, forty minutes of quietly seething at having been suckered, first by my scofflaw ex-roommate, and now by one of his creditors. I resented the stares of the deadbeats around me, knowing that I was not really one of THEM. I paid my bills and it was only through the perfidy of one like THEM that I found myself cooling my heels in their company. When finally my turn came at the counter, I requested through clenched teeth that I be allowed to speak to the billing supervisor. Now. The harridan simply held out her hand for my paperwork.

“You don’t understand I am here to discuss a bill…”

“With the billing supervisor, I know. May I see your bill, please?”

I handed it over reluctantly, and she barely glanced at it before thrusting it back at me, flipping a small green pre-printed card on top. She pointed at a bank of phones on the wall, into which several of my former line-mates were speaking in varying degrees of exasperation.

“Go over to one of the white phones and dial the number on the green card.”

I stared, first at the card, then at the bank of phones, then back at the girl behind the counter.

“Why do I need…”

“Sir, I have a line waiting here…” (a thoroughly superfluous bit of information at this point, I can assure you)

“I’m not going to meet with a billing supervisor?”

“Dial the number and you’ll be talking to one. Next, please.”

By now, I was not interested in keeping my cool, not concerned with avoiding a scene and completely uninterested in arguing with the young, er, lady. I suggested that she call into the back room for a supervisor because until I was face to face with a supervisor, I was not going to relinquish my place before her. And it was at that moment that I decided a concert was called for.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” I said, turning to face my line-mates, “I propose to entertain you until such time as a supervisor comes out here to meet with me. Please feel free to join in.”

I’m no opera star but I do sing loudly. I got about halfway through The Battle Hymn Of The Republic before the door behind the ‘customer service agent’ slammed open and a middle-aged man with ruddy cheeks came out from wherever they kept their ruddy-cheeked middle-aged supervisors, glancing around for a moment, taking in the line of half-laughing and half-angry fellow late-bill-payers and please-turn-on-my phoners before turning to face me with a loud, disapproving sniff.

“Is there a problem here, sir?”

Not wanting him to feel deprived, I finished the “sounding forth the trumpet” verse before interrupting my performance. I handed him my paperwork and my check, informed him that he was now almost an hour late for my 12:15pm appointment, and would he please process my paperwork and hand me my receipt. I further informed him that failing satisfaction, I was prepared to offer next a nice medley of Peter, Paul and Mary songs. Or perhaps a few hundred rounds of The Itsy-Bitsy Spider.

He actually ripped the receipt; he signed it so hard and fast. And I turned to walk out past the line of co-waiters, some laughing their keesters off and others glaring at me with looks that could definitely kill. I heard the whoosh-click as the supervisor disappeared once more into the back room.

And then it happened. It was the guy behind me in line who supplied the punch line, just as I started to push open the door to freedom.

“Are you gonna go get that guy back, or do I have to sing a song, too?”

True story.

1 comment:

  1. What you fail to mention was that it happened 30 years ago when you were young and brash, not the kindly old fart you are today.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.