Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How to screw up a sick day

I stayed home sick today. I have a code id by doze.  Which does not make me unique, I know. Lots and lots and lots of people had colds today and many of them had no choice but to go to work. Which I suppose makes me one of the fortunate ones.
Staying home for a cold is sort of a double score because you can still think well enough to enjoy your seasons of West Wing DVDs but not so well that you’re tempted to do any real work. The Zen of upper respiratory yuckiness is usually totally about relaxing and rolling with things. And the occasional moan reminds those around you that you are eminently worthy of their deepest sympathy.
It could and should have been the perfect sick day. Except that I ruined it. I kept my physical therapy appointment.
I know, I know. What was I thinking?
In keeping with macho tradition, not only did I keep the appointment, but I refrained from allowing the PT guy Josh to see that his ministrations actually hurt me. Make no mistake – Josh knew I was struggling to keep from crying out. I knew that Josh knew. And Josh knew that I knew that…what the hell. You don’t let another guy see your pain.
Here’s the rub: it hurt like hell. Not like medieval torture, I’m sure. The rack must surely have been unpleasant. And I’ve no doubt that drawing and quartering could leave an impression. I’m not claiming samurai-worthy forbearance here.
On the other hand, I’ve passed kidney stones, had a gall bladder removed, and broken enough bones for a good sitcom gag. I’ve seen suffering and felt suffering and I’ve had the experience of wondering if it wouldn’t be the smart thing to just give up and die.
But today, good ol’ Josh taught me another level of pain. Not only that, but he expects me to repeat twice a day at home and work for the shear joy of suffering. And being the macho oh-yeah-just-watch-me kind of idiot that I am, I’ll do it.
Which never would have been necessary if I’d just taken advantage of the cold and begged off the PT appointment.
I’m an idiot. I screwed up a perfectly good stay home sick day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.