Total Pageviews

Friday, March 25, 2011

Big Words

Teleological. I don't know what it means.
There are many other words the meaning of which I don’t know, but this is the one that chaps my hide.  It doesn’t pop up all that often but every time it does, I tell myself I should look it up.
It’s not like looking it up is that big a job. We must have a half-dozen dictionaries in this house, one of which is on the shelf behind me, easily within arm’s reach. I just turned around to make sure that was true and there it was. A perfectly good Webster’s - which isn’t the best but at least it’s not schlock like the New American Collegiate. Of course, I didn’t pick it up. That would spoil my run of not knowing what teleological means.
I’m not afraid of big words. I love words and language. Linguistic uppityness is my life.
I regularly use words like aliphatic and enumerative, cathartic, existential and streptococcus. I didn’t have to look any of them up.  I love to trot out a really obscure polysyllabic construction even when a short, common word would have sufficed. My personal lexicon is copious and my use of it inspired.
I’ve just never bothered to look up teleological. And I probably won’t this time, either. And it will continue to annoy me every time I come across it.
Don’t ask me why.  

8 comments:

  1. I, too, love words. Love the feel of the as they wiggle and squirm through the gray matter and reach mumbling, "Me, Me, use Me!"

    Favorites? Oh yeah!

    Deontological justification!
    Contextualist!
    Tripartite!
    Phosphatidlycholine

    Is it possible that there is deontological justification for daily doses of phosphatidlycholine?

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read The Elegance of a Hedgehog? Excellent for those of us who relish words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will look up the book. And you got me on the phos...whatever.

    Brer Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I'm FINALLY figuring out the comments posting. Color me Luddite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And really, does what is good always trump what is right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't want to spoil your fun but if I copied and pasted into Word I could easily get one of those shlock definitions you so love to hate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone who relies on Wikipedia for definitions deserves to get schlock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not words, but pronunciations that are my hobby-horse, specifically derivative words. The root word is 'impede' (pronounced 'impeed') but the noun is impedance (pronounced 'impuhdns'). When you 'infer' something, you have made not an inFERence, but an INfrnc. What's with that!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.