Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Little Oversight

                We don’t eat KFC chicken all that often. It’s expensive and not the most healthful stuff that ever slid down a gullet. But it’s comfort food and we like it, so every now and then we go for it.
                So I drive down there tonight and I place my order for the eight-piece family dinner that’s currently on special. Only to be told that alas, they’ve run out of chicken. They’ve neglected to prepare enough of the item around which the meal is formed.
                Now, last time I went to KFC, about a month or so ago, they were similarly bereft of cooked poultry. That time, there was a line inside and a longer line in drive-through, so I blew it off and headed for one of their competitors. But this time was different.
                I REALLY didn’t want to cook tonight and nothing else sounded good.  Besides, having taken the women-folk’s orders, showing up back home without the requisite pollo would have been loco.  KFC’s failure would have become my failure.  And besides, the nice lady promised the chicken would be ‘up’ – I refrained from pointing out that I prefer anything that’s had its head lopped off remain ‘down’ – in eight minutes. So I waited.
                And sure enough, eventually the chicken showed up and all was well. I took the dinner home, maintaining my status as intrepid provider. The meal was shared and I am still loved, or at least, put up with. The night turned out alright and after all this wasn’t the worst calamity to befall me in my life. But it was an annoyance I could have lived without.  
                I think I have a way for KFC to avoid future embarrassment. I know it’s not my place, but if they’ll just take this advice, I’m thinking they won’t have to worry about a repeat non-performance. And here it is:
                When you run a special on chicken and it’s coming up on dinner time, make more chicken.
                Think I oughta charge them for the consultation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.