Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 20, 2011

A wealthy man

Today, I am a wealthy man. I found the Barnes and Noble gift card that I received for Christmas.  Mary and I went down there and splurged on books with no redeeming social value. I bought four detective novels, one of my guilty pleasures when it comes to reading.

I’ve been reading a college text on the origins of music that Daughter One recommended. It’s a fine and interesting book, but not the sort of thing one reads through in a sitting or two. And I have on my nightstand a book of FDR’s speeches that I pick up every now and again. I enjoy constitutional case law, particularly reading the dissents on landmark decisions.  But none of these things could fill out a steady diet.

For shear entertainment, I like novels. Detective novels, historical novels, sci fi, anything with dogs, the occasional love story, just about anything except romance novels. I enjoy being taken for a ride by an author who’s done a good job of imagining the setting and fleshing out the characters.
I really enjoy reading everything I can find by a particular author. I cruised through Mitchener and Uris years ago. I read Elie Wiesel whenever I find him. And of course, some books are so special, you read them again a few years later. The Color Purple was one of these.
A good book is a conversation between author and reader. And goodness knows I love to talk!
I can’t wait to curl up in bed tonight and let a new story unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. One caveat: foul language, epithets, assaultive posts, etc. will be deleted. Let's keep it polite.